Samartha Deva

Default long-term storage of starter

Ernie wrote:

> I had an uncle who found some Grey mould growing on a piece of
> bread. He turned it into a starter and baked bread with it for
> years. He said it made great bread.
> Ernie

Yeah, but the molds have spore bodies and the yeasts in sourdough are
generally not sporulating, and with no spore bodies showing and bread
not getting moldy earlier than "normal", the moldies have probably died
out. Your uncle's experience is probably another proof about the
versatility and forgiveness of sourdough: almost anything goes and the
source of many tales and religious wars.

Samartha

--
remove -nospam from my email address, if there is one
SD page is the http://samartha.net/SD/