Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default Comparison of roast pork

I have an interesting little taste comparison happening here at the
house. I recently did a butt in my Bradley, using my standard and quite
typical, technique. The butt was soaked in my apple juice marinade for
several days, then patted dry, slathered in warm bacon fat and coated
with my own dry rub, S&P. It was apple smoked for about 15 hours to
180f, then the bone pulled out (light finger pressure) and the butt
pulled and chopped. As with Brick, I cut off a lot of the bark/fat and
then finely chopped it with a clever, adding it back to blend in with
the interior meat.

This morning, my good friend and neighbor brought over some pork he'd
cooked in his electric oven overnight. He'd scored a 24" or so long
loin at Costco and had baked it. The only thing he'd done was to
sprinkle it well with S&P before cutting into two parallel pieces in his
baking tray. This morning, he cut the pieces into about 4" chunks and
popped them apart with a fork. There was no marinade, smoke or rub
applied except for the S&P. He brought me over a couple pounds and it
smelled great. IMHO, he always tends to overcook all meat, so that's
another difference.

Tonight, Mrs Nonny and I are going to make two pulled pork sandwiches
with slaw on them. One will be my smoked butt and the other my friend's
version. We'll cut each sandwich in half, giving ourselves half of
each. We both usually sprinkle our sandwiches with spicy vinegar, but
for the taste test tonight, I think we'll start out "dry," at least at
first.

It should be interesting.

--
---Nonnymus---