Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Planning a BBQ

On 4-Sep-2007, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 16:07:03 -0400, Brian wrote:
>
> > Do you think this is enough? How much would you cook for 40 people? At
> >
> > what point would you add another hunk of meat? 50 people? 55 people?

> Figure on 20lbs of meat, plus bones and fat. So that's 40lbs of
> meat before cooking.
>
> > Finally, there will be a few vegetarians there.

> I hope...
>
> > (no need to snicker!)

> OK, I'll save it.
>
> -sw

I have recorded before and after weights for a number of cooks. And
you can depend on no more then 60% yield for butts, picnics and ribs.
It can be worse, but odds are you'll recover about 60% actual eat'n
meat. Steve's estimate is good. If it's available, it'll get eaten. If you
start with a pound of raw meat per person, you'll be lucky to have
enough leftovers for breakfast. And, out of 40 guests, at least 3 or
4 will take thirds. Don't ask me where they put it. Watch out for the
skinniest guys. They eat the most.
--
Brick(Save a tree, eat a Beaver)