Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ChildFree Abby ChildFree Abby is offline

Default I think I am getting the hang of this..

I finally got a decent thermometer for my smoker (such things are rare
in this neck of the woods, but eBay is your friend) We had company
yesterday, my Dear Hubby's brother who lives on the other side of the
continent. So the day before I got a nice sized pork shoulder, and
rubbed it down turbinado sugar, salt, pepper, garlic and chili powder
and left it to rest overnight in the fridge. Come the next morning,
started the fire at 6:30am, brought the heat up to 250F and had the
roast on at 7:30.

I smoked it with a mixture of hickory and sugar maple, and made a sop
consisting of the remainder of the rub, cider vinegar and a shot of
worcestershire sauce. I based about every hour - hour and a half, that
time just happened to coincide with the time I needed to toss on a bit
more charcoal to keep the temp a more or less even 250.

It was 4:30 in the afternoon, and the internal temp was 195F, so I took
it off and wrapped in foil until dinner was ready to serve. Oh, it was
divine, pulled away from the bone beautifully, the meat tender moist and
succulent with a nice "bark". I served it with warm "golden barbecue
sauce" on the side.

This was the best one yet. My guests were impressed (smoke cooking being
relatively unusual here) and delighted. As a bonus there is just enough
left over for Dear Hubby to have for supper tonight while I am at work.

Abby
--
The ChildFree Abby Archives - http://www.dismal-light.net/childfreeabby/