Posted to rec.food.historic,rec.food.restaurants
Christophe Bachmann Christophe Bachmann is offline

Default "Optional service charge"

Lazarus Cooke a écrit :
> In article >, Christophe
> Bachmann > wrote:
>
>> French cuisine ain't no rubbish, but it ain't cheap either. Here in
>> France we can find Subway, McDonalds, and a lot of kebab, but for fine
>> fresh local products you got to pay 15-20 $ at least (15% compulsory
>> service charge included)

> Okay Christophe, are you going to say that if you were about to be
> stuck for a couple of days in the middle of Nevada, or in, say, the
> massif central, that you believe that, stuck in a small hotel meant
> for commercial travellers, you'd eat better in the midwest of the usa
> than in france?

Nope, I'm not saying that either, because I've never been in the
mid-west and so cannot compare, and I never meant to say it, but what I
want to say most emphatically is that even in France if you want to eat
cheap you will most often have to resort to some form of fast food,
there are still quite a lot of good little restaurants, (and often in
small hotels too) but they are increasingly rare and increasingly
pricey. The little worker's restaurants are dying out, even in Europe.

> Lazarus
>
> ps are you biased? Are you a wee bitty american?
> I am.

Greetings, Salutations,
Guiraud Belissen, Chteau du Ciel, Drachenwald,
Chris CII, Rennes, France

I'm not biased at all because I've not set foot in the US for thirty years.