Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default VRAC vs. Kirkland's Chateauneuf du Pape

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:04:34 -0400
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> http://www.wineaccess.com/store/gary...ct_id=10941073
> VRAC Cotes du Rhone - 2006 - purchased for $7.99 at Gary's
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2oqncn
> Kirkland Chateauneuf du Pape - 2005 purchased at $19.99
>

> I had put down on my list to buy another bottle of du Pape, but DH said
> let's try the VRAC and compare. We both found so little difference that we
> didn't even bother to blind taste test.

Sounds like a great operation! If you get what seems the same for $8 US as what
used to cost $20, you're way ahead.

What is "Vrac?" Some kind of negociant?

In France "vrac" just means "bulk" (more or less, or "loose" I suppose, never looked
it up). When you buy wine "en vrac" you bring your jug or barrel to a sort of
gas pump, and fill it up. Great way to buy sometimes, we have even bottled
ourselves on occasion although I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble now.

I didn't see anything useful on the labels, but I must say I find calling
a wine "vrac" (and then charging 8 bucks for it) very bizarre!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom