Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

Default MLF Starter Culture

On Sep 6, 9:43 am, gene > wrote:
> pp wrote:
> > On Sep 3, 1:48 am, gene > wrote:
> >> You can keep the ML culture alive by feeding it more apple juice;
> >> however, the useful lifetime of the culture is often dictated by the
> >> growth of VA (volatile acids, aka vinegar smells). A little bit of VA
> >> adds complexity to your wine, but too much is not good thing.

> >> In commercial wineries, a new ML culture is usually started about once a
> >> week to keep the VA in check.

> >> One strategy is to buy frozen ML yeast, and culture only a little at a
> >> time, so that you can have fresh ML when you need it.

> >> Gene

> > Gene:

> > Is this different from the freeze-dried ready to use ML culture? That
> > one seems to lose effectiveness very quickly once the package is
> > opened.

> > Thx,

> > Pp

> Yes, this is a culture you receive frozen and have to store in your
> freezer until use.
>
> Gene- Hide quoted text -

That's also the case for the freeze-dried "white powder" culture that
I am using. But that one says on the package to use immediately after
opening. The whole package is for 250L of wine which is (much) more
than any single batch I make so I have to split it among several
batches. The problem is they are not ready for the culture at the same
time so I tried using just part of the package, resealing immediately
and putting back in the freezer but it does appear that the culture is
weaker after that.

So I was wondering if what you're using is a different culture that's
more stable in the freezer after opening? Mine is from Hansen. It
comes as white powder that's ready to use without making a starter,
just like active dry yeast.

Thx,

Pp