Posted to rec.food.historic,rec.food.restaurants
Lazarus Cooke Lazarus Cooke is offline

Default "Optional service charge"

In article >, pltrgyst
> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:19:02 +0100, Lazarus Cooke
> > wrote:
>

> >.... In states such as Mississippi
> >and Texas I've had to travel hundreds of miles to find anywhere that
> >wasn't serving fast food.

> Where in Texas were you?
>
> Unless you were entirely remote from civilization (hah!), it's hard to believe
> you couldn't find decently made Tex-Mex within a few miles anywhere in Texas.
>
> -- Larry

Hi Larry

I was based in Huntsville, where there was one of the best restaurants
I've come across in the entire USA - the Cafe Texan. Did brilliant
local meals at good prices, and was the first port of call every day
for those who were being released from the penitentiary. (It's the
world capital for executions.)

The trouble is... that was it. Everything else in town was abysmally
bad - mostly fast food joints, even though there was a college.
And when you went out and around in texas, it was the same string of
fast-fried frozen foods that we're all used to. For hundreds of miles.

In Clarkesville Mississippi (sorry if I spelt that wrong, but you must
admit it's a tricky one) I tried to find local food, and was told that
the nearest resaurant serving southern food was about ninety miles
away.

It ain't like that in my Algeciras-to-Afghanistan area.

Don't try looking for fast food joints in, say, Basilicata in Italy, or
in the remote islands of Croatia, or in inland Turkey. You'll be stuck,
even in the smallest village, with local, fresh, seasonal food, simply
but beautifully cooked.

I'm slightly concerned that those who disagree with me, from Australia
to America, are proud of their region but don't have that much
experience of eating regularly in remote areas in continents they
weren't born in.

I'm just waiting for a flood of posts from Egyptians, Lebanese,
southern Italians, and French people arguing that their own national
cooking is rubbish and that American, Australian, British and Irish
cuisines are much better.

When that comes I'll reconsider my view.

Lazarus