Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Tater Tater is offline

Default starting fist batch of plum wine, wheeee!

On Sep 3, 3:16 pm, Tater > wrote:

> once I know yeast *is* active, i'll probably pull 2-3 gallons into a 5
> gallon pail to primary in, until i am sure foam is nto an issue. might
> put it back then, not sure. sg at 18 hours (about) is 1.095 and temp
> is 72 degrees

yeast is active in both primaries now, both with big heads of foam. SG
dropped to 1.070 and has the fizzy taste expected at this stage.

anybody know when the threat of foaming ends? I'd like to get the two
back into one primary. I need that 5 gallon bucket for processing the
next batch of plums.

Speaking of which, plum ripening went into overdive. picked enough for
another 5 gallon batch, just this afternoon. lucky this weekend i'll
be spending on more carboys and maybe another primary. plan on aging
in the carboy so I'll need as much big glass as little.