Posted to alt.food.barbecue
John Reber John Reber is offline

Default oil-less turkey fryer

Pierre wrote:
> On Aug 31, 3:56 pm, "Moe Jones" > wrote:
>> Brick wrote:
>>> I'll pass thank you. I don't see how this $150 gadget which requires
>>> storage space can improve on my rotisserie and smoker. Speed
>>> is not much of a benefit.

>> Thanks for the price. I never checked on it.
>>
>> But I still think it cool to see what they are coming out with. I like you
>> use my smoker on my turkeys but I can see where you do not have to hassle
>> with all that oil.
>>
>> When I have done the oil fried turkey, I would share the cost of the peanut
>> oil with others and not worry about cleaning up and saving the oil. I do
>> have to say I would think it is safer to use when you hear of persons that
>> are pulling the turkey out of the container when the handle breaks and the
>> turkey drops back in the hot oil and burns the person. :-(
>> --
>> Moe Jones
>> HVAC Service Technician
>> Energy Equalizers Inc.
>> Houston, Texaswww.EnergyEqualizers.com- Hide quoted text -

> Try kills the person:
>
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1913171.story
>
> Boy dies of burns in turkey-fryer accident
> Tribune staff report
> 4:48 AM CDT, August 30, 2007
>

> A 5-year-old Wheeling boy severely burned by hot oil when he
> accidently knocked over a turkey fryer while riding his bicycle around
> his home three days ago died late Wednesday night of his injuries.
>
> Israel Hernandez, of the 500 block of East Merle Lane in the north
> suburb, was pronounced dead at 11:17 p.m. Wednesday at Loyola
> University Medical Center in Maywood where he had been been airlifted
> after the accident on Sunday, the Cook County medical examiner's
> office said.
>
> The boy was riding around the house about 1 p.m. on Sunday when his
> bike crashed into the fryer, set up alongside the home's driveway and
> filled with boiling cooking oil, Wheeling Fire Lt. Bart Burns said.
> The oil spilled over nearly 60 percent of the boy's body.
>
> "We found him with severe burns from his shoulders on down," Burns
> said. Burns added that the boy's parents received minor injuries on
> their hands while trying to help their son.
>

> Pierre
> PS That really ****ing blows.

Alton Brown on FoodTV showed a turkey fryer going up. I never seen
anything so out of control so fast. He lowered the turkey into a too
full pot of oil, the oil overflowed onto the flames and instantly flared
up, a second later the line to the propane tank ruptured and flames were
shooting out everywhere.

He did of course have a fire team standing by to extinguish it.