Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Karen C. Karen C. is offline

Default Boston Butt - Second Try

"Brick" > wrote in message
news:7hdDi.6952$3R5.2626@trnddc05...
> What Jim said. My pit has a sweet spot at about 275° dome temp

(NB
> Silver offset). That means it runs without fuss or attention at

that temp.
> Its near 300° near the firebox and more like 250° or less at

the far end.
> mostly I just watch the dome temp and
> leave it the hell alone until it starts to drop off. Then, it's

time to add
> fuel.

Hmmm . . . I'm using a SMW, and I have a (Maverick) thermometer
probe at the rack, not far from the meat but not touching. Then
I have the other probe in the meat. Is there a reason I should
have another thermometer at the top of the dome?

> Everything gets cooked at those temperatures more or less. Big
> pieces get placed close to the fire. Butts cook in 5 to 7

hours, ribs 4
> or less. . . .

I don't know how you guys do it! The thought of cooking a bunch
of stuff at one time gives me a headache <g>.

> I don't pay much attention to time.

I learned that lesson with my first attempt <g>.

> I don't F#$% with the vents to get it back to temp. I just dump

in some
> fuel and get back to my A/C livingroom. I check on the meat the

first
> time at about 4 hours. . . . shuffle them about every two hours

to even out the exposure.

I can only dream of the time when I'm that confident in what I'm
doing! LOL!

Thanks!

Karen C.