Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Cook-Along planned for Chris's New Mexico Cook-in!

TammyM > wrote:

> But even more
> than that, I had an "episode" post-bike-commute whereby I managed to
> TWICE pass out. Smacked my head on the asphalt both times and have
> some impressive lumps on my head to prove it. Had to go to the ER for
> a CT scan to rule out "brain bleed" (wouldn't YOU go to the ER if your
> doctor told you that had to be ruled out???!?) Diagnosed with a
> concussion and a "helluva pair of cranial goose eggs". And a MIGHTILY
> sore tailbone!

Switch to a tricycle. :-p

ObFood: Beetroot, red onion, red cabbage, crème fraîche and chervil,
from _Beyond Nose to Tail_ by Fergus Henderson & Justin Piers Gellatly.

Victor

Beetroot, Red Onion, Red Cabbage, Crème Fraîche and Chervil
To serve six

2 raw beetroots, peeled and finely grated
1/4 raw red cabbage with its core cut out, very finely sliced
1 small red onion, cut in half from top to bottom and finely sliced
6 healthy dollops of crème fraîche
2 healthy bunches of chervil, picked

Dressing
healthy splashes of extra virgin olive oil
a little gesture of balsamic vinegar
a small handful of extra-fine capers
sea salt and black pepper

Too often you are offered a fait accompli on a plate, a weave of
ingredients in which your only involvement will be to make a mess of it,
with the inevitable intervention of your knife and fork. Well, here is
a salad that welcomes the messing-up process.

Mix everything together for the dressing. Toss all your raw red
vegetables in the dressing, then on six plates place a bushel of this
red mixture. Next to this, nustle your blob of crème fraîche as if the
two ingredients were good friends, not on top of each other as if they
were lovers. Finally, a clump of the chervil rested next to the other
ingredients in the friendly fashion.

A very striking salad ready for the eater to mess up.