Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Default Aging In Bulk Vs Aging In Bottle

Hi Patrick, thanks for replying. I am satisfied the glass vs plastic
argument has been done to death. What I am talking about is the
seemingly huge disparity between what home winemakers (creating fruit
wines) are told to do by wineshops in the UK and elsewhere.

Shop owners here tell me not to bother with bulk aging but to let the
wine age and mature in bottle - avoid letting it settle out naturally,
but use finings to overcome the problems 'inherent' in plastic
containers by removing the need for longterm storage therein. This
doesn't have a financial root to me since the wines being made are not
from commercial kits, but from scratch.

One shop owner admitted to me that glass carboys were starting to
enjoy a bit of a renaissance in the UK as people followed Canadian
kitmakers instructions and went to secondary in glass rather than
plastic. This situation befuddled him as he couldn't see any reason
to go that route... My real question is why would this be I guess...

Jim

On Sep 1, 4:58 am, "patrick mcdonald"