Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Myra[_2_] Myra[_2_] is offline

Default sugar substitute ?

On Aug 30, 7:18 pm, "mikey likes it" > wrote:
> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> for sugar in my tea ?
> thanks

There are several, actually.

First is Stevia, which a lot of people find unpleasant. I was one of
them for ages unless I stumbled on the Sweet Leaf products - Stevia
Plus and Stevia Drops. The Stevia Plus is mixed with inulin, a
naturally sweet fiber that comes from chicory. The Stevia Drops
come in all different flavors. I like to put the vanilla or milk
chocolate flavors in my coffee, and it tastes pretty good.

There's one other brand of stevia that isn't bad - Stevita, which
makes packets and measurable stevia mixed with erythritol, another
natural sweetener.

You can get any of the above he http://steviasmart.com/

Another natural sweetener is erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol.
However, unlike the others (including xylitol, the other natural sugar
alcohol), erythritol does *not*, as a rule, cause gastric problems.
It's about 70% as sweet as sugar, comes in bulk form and can be used
in baking, etc. It's very good, although it has a slight cooling
taste to it.

Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol, but it can cause gastric problems,
so I stay away from it.

You can get erythritol he http://www.netrition.com/lowcarbsucc...itol_page.html

The last one I've used is Lo Han, sold under the brand name of Slim
Sweet. This is a natural sweetener that is 15 times sweeter than
sugar, so you have to do a bit of math while measuring it (1
tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon equals one cup of sugar). It's got a
great taste - sort of like brown sugar - and you can cook with it.

You can get Slim Sweet he http://www.herbalremedies.com/1905.html

It also comes in packets: http://www.herbalremedies.com/9030.html

Hope this helps!

Myra