Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default Beef bullion cubes versus beef broth

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:31:19 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>

>><Mitch@...> wrote in message
. ..
>>> If I have a recipe that calls for bullion, but I'd rather use broth
>>> because the bullion is so salty...what's the conversion?
>>>

>>There isn't a decent commercial bouillon anywhere in the world. The
>>commercial value of the whole cow doesn't make this a feasible product.
>>So,
>>unless you're willing to make your own, forget it. You can find a good
>>veal
>>bouillon product in France. When I want to have a beef flavored stock, and
>>don't have meat or homemade stock to put into it I use "Better than
>>Bouillon" "beef base". It comes in a small jar and is available in most
>>"yuppie" markets.
>>
>>Kent
>>

> how well does that stuff keep?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've been buying This "Superior brand" for years now. I buy 6 at a time,
usually vegetable stock and put it in the colder of the two refrigerators
even without opening. The reason I do that is one time I bought several and
it looked like it got hot and 'boiled over' or something went wrong because
it was 1/3 gone. They hadn't been opened AFAICT.

I open one and put it in the refrigerator and use it until it's gone -- as
long as ? long time perhaps 3-4 months? I can't recall. But if they have
a use by date, I will use it up before the date if possible. The last time
I bought was perhaps probably January and I'm still using it. In the winter
I will use it fast because I make a lot of soups. The price had gone up a
lot. The only place I can find it is Whole Foods. But it is the only brand
that I've had total satisfaction with, and I will pay the piper.

I've tried others than vegetable, but since it is what I like the tatste of
best, it's what I buy.
Dee Dee