Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat
Kent Kent is offline

Default Porcelain coated iron vs. cast iron skillet

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> In the past I have used cast iron skillets, however even with
> seasoning, they are still a chore to maintain. One alternative I would
> like to consider is a porcelain coated iron skillet.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-11...7918316&sr=1-8
>
> Are they just effective in transferring heat and searing meats?
> Thanks

Having used both side by side, I don't think the porcelainized cast iron is
quite as good at searing as seasoned cast iron. I think, however, for
searing and deglazing meat the stainless steel cladded copper saute pan is
hard to beat. When we started using that, all the porcelain coated cast iron
saute pans went to Goodwill. We still use the Le Crueset and the Copco cast
iron casserole items for baking.

Kent

constantly struggling with my level of ignorance