Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Dirty potatoes

"Julie Bove" wrote:
> "Dee Dee" wrote:
> > "Julie Bove" wrote:
> > But my question is: When was the
> >> last time you got some really dirty potatoes? Unless of course you grow
> >> them yourself!

> > Julie, I just posted 3 pictures of the produce at our farmer's market.
> > One I did not post was one of potatoes, which I had bought previously.
> > When I asked her if she ever washed the potatoes, I could tell by her
> > reaction that she thought I had wished she had washed them; she replied
> > that it was better not to wash them.

> > I hope I explained to her that I was thankful that she had not washed
> > them. I bought them the previous time to last Saturday. They were
> > delicious.
> > I'll miss the produce this winter, I'm going to have to ask them how long
> > they'll be there. But there are orchards -- of course with limited foods.

> Yes, I realize it is best not to wash them.

That's nonsense. The farmer's market seller either lied or is
ignorant. Potatoes grow underground, they're wet all the time. All
the big potato growers wash their potatoes right in the field as soon
as they're dug, they need to be clean to receive a USDA grade.
Whoever was selling dirt encrusted potatoes was either too lazy to
clean the spuds when harvested or enjoyed a bigger profit selling
dirt.

Sheldon