Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S Alan S is offline

Default salt

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 03:22:12 GMT, bobby >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:54:51 GMT, bobby >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I heard that regular salt is bad for anyone. I've recently switched to
>> >sea salt, and I like it too. I'll never go back to regular table salt.

>> Would you like to explain the difference, both chemically
>> and in it's effect on the body?
>>

>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>> d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
>> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
>> --
>> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
>>

>I don't know Alan. Just heard that salt isn't good for you. Lot's of
>web sites out there to back it up, but I'm no scientist. They'll soon
>find some evidence that they made a mistake and that regular salt is
>good for you after all, and that sea salt causes cancer.... :-)

As best I can tell they are both 97% sodium chloride and
whether there is any tangible difference may depend on where
you are. For example, my local table salt is from
evaporative seabeds anyway; the only difference is in size
of the grains and packaging. Yours may be from mines. The
significant chemical differences would be in that final 3%,
if any, and considering the quantity of salt you would
normally use in your diet that should be just about
meaningless.

Before I started using potassium salt (sparingly) for
cramps, I had changed my menu to not use any added salt at
all in my cooking or at the table.

That's a long-winded way of saying I don't think "sea-salt"
is likely to be any healthier, or less unhealthy, than table
salt.