Old 27-08-2007, 07:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S Alan S is offline

Default salt

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 03:22:12 GMT, bobby

says...
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:54:51 GMT, bobby
wrote:

I heard that regular salt is bad for anyone. I've recently switched to
sea salt, and I like it too. I'll never go back to regular table salt.

Would you like to explain the difference, both chemically
and in it's effect on the body?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

I don't know Alan. Just heard that salt isn't good for you. Lot's of
web sites out there to back it up, but I'm no scientist. They'll soon
find some evidence that they made a mistake and that regular salt is
good for you after all, and that sea salt causes cancer.... :-)

As best I can tell they are both 97% sodium chloride and
whether there is any tangible difference may depend on where
you are. For example, my local table salt is from
evaporative seabeds anyway; the only difference is in size
of the grains and packaging. Yours may be from mines. The
significant chemical differences would be in that final 3%,
if any, and considering the quantity of salt you would
normally use in your diet that should be just about
meaningless.

Before I started using potassium salt (sparingly) for
cramps, I had changed my menu to not use any added salt at
all in my cooking or at the table.

That's a long-winded way of saying I don't think "sea-salt"
is likely to be any healthier, or less unhealthy, than table
salt.