Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat
Jerry Avins Jerry Avins is offline

Default Porcelain coated iron vs. cast iron skillet

http://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-11...7918316&sr=1-8

> Are they just effective in transferring heat and searing meats?
> Thanks

If plain cast-iron skillets are a chore for you to maintain, you must be
doing something the hard way. Have you read the admittedly idiosyncratic
bit at http://users.erols.com/jyavins/season.htm ?

I have and use two enameled cast-iron Le Cruset skillets, one the size
of a Wagner #3, the other, a #6. They are enameled white, and so
particularly useful when I need to judge color, as with a roux. They
stain a bit, but periodix bleaching with Chlorox fixes that, and they
are lightly scratched, which doesn't seem to impair their usefulness.
They're nice, but not special. Eggs stick more than in plain cast iron.

Jerry