Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat
Giusi[_2_] Giusi[_2_] is offline

Default Porcelain coated iron vs. cast iron skillet

> ha scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...
> In the past I have used cast iron skillets, however even with
> seasoning, they are still a chore to maintain. One alternative I would
> like to consider is a porcelain coated iron skillet.
> Are they just effective in transferring heat and searing meats?
> Thanks

You are doing something wrong. Maintaining a cast iron skillet is one of
the easiest kitchen chores. Immediately after searing meat in it, put a
little water in the skillet. When ready to clean it, use a soap free metal
scrubber to loosen any cooked on juices, rinse, dry, heat on a low flame.
Cool it and put it away. Are you sure yours is properly seasoned?

The enameled cast iron is much less stick-free. You can use soap on it, but
without some fat in the pan the meat will stick like crazy. You'll leave
the crust behind quite often. The big advantage is that you (must) use a
low flame but you get a regular and high heat all over the pan. Quick
sauces can often be made with residual heat after turning off the flame.