Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

In article >,
"clc" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
> > Get-Together:
> >
> > Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.

> > One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.

> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

> Congratulations, Barb! I can't believe that the person who first introduced
> me to some WONDERFUL pepper jelly only placed 5th in that category.
>
> Cheryl

:-) Thanks. I'd never made this recipe before. Blake Murphy over at
r.f.cooking posted it a while back and I decided to give it a go:

Pepper Jelly

Recipe By: posted to r.f.preserving by Barb Schaller, 8-23-2007

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
4 cups apple cider (or juice)
1 cup cranberry cocktail (for color)
2 ounces bottled lime juice (2 to 4)
7 cups sugar
1 package powdered fruit pectin
1 ounce Tabasco sauce to taste (1 oz. is hot, 2 oz
is awful hot)

use2-oz lime juice for each oz. of Tabasco

yield: about 9 half pint jars, which would be a lifetime supply except
that just
about everyone will beg a jar to take home.

Use an eight-quart or larger pot, because when jelly boils, it foams
up with a vengeance. Bring the apple cider, cranberry, lime juice and
pectin to a hard boil (can't be stirred down) and add the sugar.
Watch closely and stir often as it works to a second hard boil. Add
the tabasco as the second boil comes on; boil for one minute and
remove from stove.

Put the pot in the sink as you line up jars on the counter, then skim
off the solidified foam that will have formed. Pour the jelly into a
quart pyrex measuring cup and then into the jars, because if you try
to ladle it, or pour it from the pot, you'll make a mess and probably
burn the hell out of yourself. Fill the jars to just below the rim
and put the lids on with kitchen tongs. Add the screw caps and set
aside to jell.

Store in a dark place. Sunlight bleaches the lovely color from
Tabasco, although that doesn't affect the taste. Speaking of which,
while this jelly is delightful from the moment it sets it improves in
flavor for at least a year.
‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Blake Murphy post to r.f.c. 7-16-2007; from Hank Burchar,
Washington Post.

Fifth place, Minnesota State Fair, 2007.