Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Richard Chappell Richard Chappell is offline

Default New research on EGCG and cancer

There is some new research, apparently creditable, to the effect that
"Green Tea Boosts Production of Detox Enzymes, Rendering Cancerous
Chemicals Harmless". I'm quoting the headline from an article on the
American Association for Cancer Research's website summarizing it:

http://www.aacr.org/home/about-us/news.aspx?d=809

Note that this doesn't necessarily translate into a clinical benefit.
I don't care about my enzymes per se, I'm interested in not getting
cancer. But we can hope that they are linked.

Also note that subjects weren't fed tea but rather pills containing
epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) "in amounts equal to that found in 8-16"
cups of green tea.

Best,

Rick.