Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:40:16 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
>Get-Together:
>
>Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.
>
>Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
>years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
>Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too. I used that Just
>Add Fruit sugar/pectin combination for the blackberry jam. And bought
>two cases of the stuff from Cub while it was on sale. It's pretty
>darned slick, IMO.
>
>Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
>to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
>The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.
>
>Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
>with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
>the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).
>
>Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
>raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
>wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
>best year for that stuff in several ways.
>
>One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.
>
>The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL!
>
>I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
>though.
>
>I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
>this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.
>

>AND my White Bread was second!! The White Bread Queen's was third.
>Wish I could meet her sometime; I hear she's a lovely woman. Believe
>the Strib has a story about her in today's paper. All my other baking
>sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the apple pie and eaten it myself if
>I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The bread ribbon is "speshul" because
>I haven't baked a loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry. . . .

Way to go!

If I get a half dozen things ready I will be doing good. I have until
Sept. 1 to get the entry to the Dixie Classic Fair and Sept. 10 to the
Surry County Fair. Probably mostly the same items as long as both
have categories for them.

--
Susan N.