Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default The Thirteenth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

Here are my competition results this year at the Great Minnesota
Get-Together:

Thirteen entries of 20 canning entries placed.

Five BLUE ribbons: Plum Jelly (YEAY!! That juice was four or five
years old!); Blackberry Jam, Watermelon Pickles, Stewed Tomatoes, Tomato
Juice. The tomato entries were blue last year, too. I used that Just
Add Fruit sugar/pectin combination for the blackberry jam. And bought
two cases of the stuff from Cub while it was on sale. It's pretty
darned slick, IMO.

Three RED (second place) ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly (from juice that had
to be five years old at least), Chili Sauce, Cherry Chipotle Relish.
The chili sauce and relish were blue last year.

Two WHITE (third place) ribbons: Peach Jam, Raspberry Jam (I'm thrilled
with that because I've never placed before -- there were 39 entries in
the lot. Sister Julie's raspberries again.).

Two PINK (fourth place) ribbons: Corn Relish, Raspberry Jelly. The
raspberry jelly wasn't as clean as I would have liked, but it tasted
wonderful! And I'm just happy the Corn Relish placed. It wasn't my
best year for that stuff in several ways.

One FIFTH place (no ribbon): Pepper Jelly.

The Beet Pickles got what they deserved: NOTHING! LOL!

I won a First Place Ball Canning Award -- don't know which product yet,
though.

I don't know if I've got enough points to be the Big Bopper Canner again
this year. They'll announce that on Saturday.

AND my White Bread was second!! The White Bread Queen's was third.
Wish I could meet her sometime; I hear she's a lovely woman. Believe
the Strib has a story about her in today's paper. All my other baking
sucked. Too bad, too. I'd've kept the apple pie and eaten it myself if
I'd known that. . . . . <grin> The bread ribbon is "speshul" because
I haven't baked a loaf of white bread since last year's Fair entry. . . .
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking