Old 22-08-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Baked frittata?

In article ,
"Felice Friese" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Felice Friese" wrote:

Most of the recipes I have call for cooking frittata on the stove top and
then perhaps giving it a quick broil. I'm looking for one I can do
entirely
in the oven. Does anyone have a favorite? I would prefer a tested one
because I won't have time to give it a try before I serve it to guests on
Sunday. Thankew.

Felice

Yes.

Google for Quiche. ;-)

Thanks, Om, for suggesting that I check out the 5,700,000 quiche recipes on
Google, but I consider quiches to be more of a custard dish, and frittatas
to be omelets. Also, as I noted, I was looking for a tested recipe and
figured someone's favorite would be nicer for my guests than a random choice
from among Google's 1,430,000 frittata recipes :-)

Felice

lol Sorry, it's just when I think Baked Frittata, I think of crustless
quiche. :-)

Since I live low carb, the crust is out of the question.

I'd whip together a mix of egg, carmelized onions, mushrooms and maybe a
bit of tomato and cheese...

Put that in the cast iron skillet or glass baking dish, top with a bit
of grated parmesan and bake at about 350 until it's firm and a toothpick
pulls out clean. I'd check it at 35 minutes and go from there.

It's been awhile tho'.

Last time we made this was for a potluck about 8 years ago and we made
two nice big ones from the contents of two large fresh Ostrich eggs from
a local ranch. I was selling the clean shells on ebay.

There were no leftovers...

Ostrich and emu eggs tend to cook up a bit lighter and fluffier than
chicken eggs. Same for Duck eggs.

Quiche's for us were never a custard dish. We kept it simple.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.