Default Friends of Carl Starter and Liquid Starter

Don Hellen wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:26:25 -0700, "Rod & BJ"
> > wrote:
>
> >> Is there any reason I couldn't use the "Friends of Carl"
> >> starter and put it into my liquid starter base that worked
> >> for me for 10+ years?

> >This begs the question of why, if your starter has worked well for 10 years
> >why muck with it?

> I must have not been very clear here. My starter appears to
> be non-viable now. I am trying to revive it, but it doesn't
> look very promising after a week.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Donald Hellen

Mixing two different starters will probably result in the dominant starter
killing the other. Stablished sourdough starters have anti-biotic properties.
Which will survive is probably guesswork.

Do a google search or go directly to
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/food/sourdo...ection-21.html where some of this
is lightly touched although the context is not quite the same.

You really should lay back and read the faq. Try reading
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/food/sourdough/faq/ It has a lot of interesting
information.

The search for "sourdough antibiotic" (no quotes) yields over 1300 hits. Most
are way over my head but some provide useful information. No, I haven't read
all, just a dozen or so.