Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Kentucky Kentucky is offline

Default What effect does "time on skins and seeds" produce ? (Concord Grapes)

Another question from the "no yeast nutrient" wine project.
Last years Concord wine project was with juice only. We stemmed,
crushed and strained the pulp in one day and fermented the juice only.
Wine turned out to our satisfaction.
This year we are experimenting with the whole grape.
The crush and Campden tab dump was on Friday afternoon. Pectic enzyme
on Saturday morning. Yeast dump on Saturday night. Now (Sunday
morning) I punched the cap (about 2 inches and semi dry) and have an
active fermenation underway.
The SG at yeast dump was 1.120 (unadjusted) at 75 F.
I have read the wine can be "smoothed out some" by removing the seeds
and skins early in the fermentation.
What does the group think about this practice ?
What impact would this have on the wine ?
Thnaks to earlier responders for the yeast and sweetening tips and
info.