Rod & BJ

Default Help with dead liquid starter needed!

"Bob"
> I am concerned that if I wait too long for the starter to begin
> fermenting that the reason there is any activity is caused by a
> foreign pathogen. Samartha recommends 10-12 hours and expresses
> concern if it takes longer.
> How long did you have to wait before you got noticable fermentation?

I'm a little fuzzy on the time....its almost 4 years and I was still rather
ill at the time but its seems like it showed activity within a day or two.
10-12hrs seems kind of short but I do recall being impressed with the speed
and vigor it showed but previous to that I had used white flour and I think
3-5 days was considered normal for activity. I'm not sure a fear of a
"foreign pathogen" is really a justifiable concern.....I would think molds
etc. are quite evident by color, possibly smell and/or appearance. Not to
mention baking temps of eventual bread would kill most if not all creepy
crawlies. It does or can take weeks or longer to get a stable predicable
culture and just because you get a viable culture is no guarantee you'll
like the flavor or characteristics

> Did you cover your original starter? I plan to cover mine just to make
> sure something does not drop by unexpectedly.

I loosely covered mine with plastic.....I presently use a Saran quick cover

> I also plan to convert the starter to white flour after the rye flour
> goes thru one rise and fall.

I do or did as well.....Soggy