Bob

Default Help with dead liquid starter needed!

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:25:51 -0700, "Rod & BJ" >
wrote:

>> This is the second time I tried to get a rye starter going. The second
>> time I added an equal amount of bread flour (and water) to the rye
>> mixture after 24 hours thinking it was starting based on what I
>> thought were bubbles. But even that second kind of flour would not
>> start.

>Were you using treated tap water? Presumably some locales leave enough
>chlorine in the water to inhibit new culture wannabes. Simply boiling it or
>letting it sit out for 24 hours allows remaining chlorine to dissipate.

I have a GE activated charcoal filtration system on the cold water
side of the sink. The water that comes thru that system appears to be
reasonably free from chlorine, at least to the taste and smell.

I could try distilled water if you think that is what is causing my
problem. Or maybe I need to get "full grain rye flour" as the recipe
indicated. I plan to go to the health food store tomorrow so I may
pick up a bag.

The rye flour I am using does not indicate if it has been treated.
That may be the problem - the natural yeasts were killed off in some
manner.