Kenneth

Default Help with dead liquid starter needed!

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:01:06 -0400, Don Hellen
> wrote:

>I haven't made any sourdough bread for
>much longer than that, and my liquid starter seems to be
>beyond revival.

Hi Don,

I would not give up on it just yet...

Try this (there is little to lose):

Take a small amount of your "dead" starter, say a tablespoon full, and
put it in a container. To that, add about a half cup of flour, and a
half cup of water. Mix it up, and put it aside in a reasonably warm
place for a day or two.

Watch it for signs of fermentation (bubbles, increased volume etc.)

If it comes alive, repeat the process, that is, take a spoon full of
this mixture, toss the rest, and add more flour and water as above.

If it revives, and is fermenting strongly, you can then put it back in
the dilute state you prefer.

The process of very diluted feedings that I have described is called
"washing" and has brought back some starters that I had thought were
long gone.

HTH,

--
Kenneth