Posted to alt.food.wine
John T John T is offline

Default TN SFWS August tasting

Solihull Fine Wine Society, August tasting by Rowland.
all blind as usual
welcoming as other post

Riesling Grand Cru Brand Zind-Humbrecht 2001
Pale gold and bright, a honeyed beeswax nose, unctous and balancied candy,
long, quite marked acidity to help a long life

Riesling Grand Cru Brand Zind-Humbrecht 2000
Deeper pale gold, viscous++, floral barley sugared honey nose, unctous yet
good balance of acidity, not cloying, long, very good.

Nepenthe Riesling, Adelaide Hills 2002.
Pale and bright, asoft petrol R nose with some spice, gentle fruit and good
balance. Luncheon German I thought.

Pinot Gris, Clos Windsbuhl, Zind Humbrecht 2000
Corked +++, but a good demo of a corked wine.

Gewurtztraminer, Grand Cru Hengst Zind-Humbrecht 2000
Pale gold and thick, what a nose!!, lychees honey and some nutmeg, echoed on
the palate, all in balance oily and stuck to the roof of your mouth,
wonderful, my WOTN and one of the best this year

Riesling Grand Cru Rangen Clos St Urbain Zind-Humbrecht, 2001
Bright straw, very dumb, difficult to extract a varietel nose, a hint of wet
cardboard, echoed on palate, good balance and fruit, but what?? As I had not
got a clue I went for Pinot Gris, ( always a safe port in a storm)

Riesling Grand Cru Rangen, Clos St Urbain Zind-Humbrecht 2000

Deeper than previous, golden brightness, barley sugar riesling nose with
complex overtones, very concentrated, minerals and spice Long, ? New World!!

Deinhamer Tafelstuck Riesling Spatlese, Thoman and co 1959

Looked like sherry, smelt like amontillado, but was most pleasant for a dead
wine. (ullaged to mid shoulder and cork crumbled.) It was really drinking
well in a necrophilaic slant.
I wondered if it was Chateau Chalon.

Not a cheap tasting, average price GBP 32

--
John T