Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

Default Wooden Cutting Board Help

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~) Maybe I should be
> looking into getting a plastic cutting board then?

I have three cutting boards. One plastic, one commercial 'butcherblock'
style and...

> This particular wood
> cutting board has some sentimental value.

.... one I made in my 9th grade shop class.

It was made by my husband's
> uncle, so we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you recommend switching to
> plastic?

Yes. It's cheap. It's stain and odor resistant. And when it does get
'cruddy' and cut-up, just give it to your carpenter husband and ask him to
take 1/16 of an inch off the top surface with his hand plane for you. In
about thirty seconds flat he'd have a new cutting surface planed flat for
you.

Which is precisely what I do with MY plastic cutting board when it gets
worn-down. I also store it on a hook on the inside panel of my cabinet -
the space between the door and shelves is enough for it to hang safely.

Hope that helps.

MJB