Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default Q: least acidic red wine

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:24:13 +0200
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> Emery Davis wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:33:15 -0400
> > "Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote:
> >
> >> I realize it may be difficult to find a commercial
> >> winery that does not barrel age reds, but it may
> >> be possible.

> > I'd guess that more wine doesn't ever see a barrel than does.
> >
> > Certainly there are many areas of France (Southern Rhone, Loire, South West)
> > where barrel aging is not traditional, although folks are trying it to get better
> > scores from RP.

> I think you mean "where aging in small barrels is not traditional".
> Because most wineries in the areas you mention use (very) large oak barrels.

Well, yes of course! Doesn't "Barrel Aged" usually mean small barrels?
I guess I thought it went without saying. Huge oak barrels for elevage
are old wood and (as you know) don't flavour the stuff.

Paul wrote:
> s this the case for red wines? Do the areas you
> refer to use stainless for aging? Do they use
> oak chips? I have never heard of many areas not
> using barrels for red wine. Can you please point
> me to some references.

Yes, I'm talking about red wines.

This part making is called "élevage" in French. I don't believe that in
the regions I've mentioned large oak containers are the only material; I can
certainly think of concrete and PVC as alternatives, presumably stainless
too. The point is that the container is more or less neutral, so the wood
(if wood it is) imparts no flavour to the wine.

I don't think oak chips are authorized anywhere in France, and I certainly
hope this will remain the case forever.

There are many sources of information about French Wines, I believe Parker
has a book so entitled. For the individual AOC regulations you can search through
the INAO site, you will certainly find there is no rule about the recipient of élevage
being oak in most places.

-E
--
Emery Davis