Old 12-08-2007, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Is anyone out there doing Extended Maceration?

Dick Heckman wrote:

Sorry to be dumb but what's delestage?

Dick

It may mean slight different things to different
people but my understanding is that it is "rack
and return" less the seeds.

Joe Sallustio wrote:
Joe, do you do a delestage(sp?) and remove
most of the seeds when you transfer?

No on the delestage but I should, thanks for
reminding me... It's
pretty easy with small pails but it's messy.
Yes on the seeds, I
remove them as I combine pails. They end up in
a mass at the bottom
of each pail and go in the garden like
everything else. I punch down
once in the morning, once in the evening at
minimum. You probably get hotter ferments than
me because I have more surface area exposed;
you may extract faster than me too.

I do a sort of Saignée though; I usually make a
light red from Grenaché and may do the same
with Syrah this year; those skins go in
with something else once pressed. Those are
crushed and pressed the
same day. It's not blush; more of a Rosé.
It's very good as a dry wine.

Joe