Posted to alt.food.wine
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Q: least acidic red wine

Steve Slatcher wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 06:35:10 -0400, "Paul E.
> Lehmann" > wrote:
>
>>Steve Slatcher wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:25:31 -0400, "Paul E.
>>> Lehmann" > wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd have given the same advice regardless of
>>> my mood. Can you fault it?
>>>
>>> I chose to open a Vasse Felix Chardonnay last
>>> night BTW.
>>>

>>Yes, I can fault it. It was not only rude but
>>uninformative. The OP came here for information,
>>not to be put down.

> No rudeness was intended, and I apologise to the
> OP if he was offended.
>
>>It would be helpful for the OP to find out
>>exactly
>>is causing his problem with red wine. It is
>>possible it is the tannin and not the acid.

> Yes. Others also pointed out that tannins were
> probably were the
> problem. I assumed he was reading the other
> bits or the thread too.
>
> If he follows the route of chosing low tannin
> red wine, he may well find that he is not
> getting the health benefits he is expecting. It
> sounds to me that the health benefits he is
> seeking are probably due
> to precisely the substances that are giving him
> a bad stomach. But neither you nor I know what
> benefits he is seeking from the red wine, or why
> he thinks, or was told, that would be better for
> him than white.
>
> So that is the long version of my original post,
> but it boils down to the same advice.

Steve, I make wine as a hobby - about 100 gallons
a year and I have a backyard vineyard of about
100 vines. Tannins come from the skin and seeds
and ALSO from the barrels.

It could be possible that whatever is causing his
problem is coming from the barrel aging. I have
to make my red wine two different ways - barrel
aged and some aged in glass carboys only. My
wife will not drink barrel aged wines.

I realize it may be difficult to find a commercial
winery that does not barrel age reds, but it may
be possible.

Failing that, one could always start their own
production

I find that a lot of people who swear they
absolutely do not like red wine for one reason or
another really DO like the non barrel aged red
wine I make.

Of course if you are able to find a non barrel
aged red wine, you have to be sort of careful
because some wine makers add oak chips to
stainless aged wines to impart the oakiness
without the expense of buying cooperage.