Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Is anyone out there doing Extended Maceration?

Joe Sallustio wrote:

I don't do it that way; I use 6 gallon pails and
just 'top them up'
once it's mostly done. I have at least a week
of active fermentation and it takes a while -
usually at least 2 weeks total for the cap to
totally sink. By then I'm pretty sure I have as
much out of those
skins as I am going to get. Once the wine is
still for the most part
I start combining pails and let the residual CO2
cover them. I do lid the pails the whole time.

Your way sounds OK, I just don't have gas
available. What some people do is just lay a few
layers of plastic sheeting on top of the wine.

Joe

Joe, do you do a delestage(sp?) and remove most of
the seeds when you transfer?