Melba's Jammin'

Default Take your damn Hats off while eating

In article >, wrote:

> BillKirch > wrote:
> >>Why is it rude and classless - just because society dictates it's
> >>rude and classless?
> >>
> >>If people want to wear hats in restaurants then that's fine by me

> > #################
> > Thats because your mother never taught you any manners. BG

> Manners are intended to help keep people from inconveniencing
> one another. Why is it unmannerly for a man to wear a hat while
> eating? I am not arguing that wearing a hat indoors is considered
> bad manners, but why?

Interesting question, Stan. I wonder if it has any basis in a hat
being worn as protection from the elements -- wind and/or rain on one's
coiffure. (Yeah, I know, umbrellas are for keeping the rain off your
head, too.) When you're inside, you no longer need that protection
(barring faulty plumbing upstairs) so you remove your hat.

I think women's headcovering has always been regarded differently -- a
hat may well be part of the ensemble, part of the costume, and as such
is not removed when indoors (usually).

Are men now considering their hats to be part of their costume rather
than protection from crappy weather? Or is it just a general rebellion
-- "nobody's gonna tell ME what to do, by God!"? I'll vote for the
latter.

Where's Miss Manners when you need her?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-26-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got