Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Darrin Darrin is offline

Default Shoney's: Not exactly Manhattan cuisine!eheeee

On Aug 9, 9:22?pm, pltrgyst > wrote
:> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:33:47 -0700, Darrin >
wrote:

> >....The sushi's tastier here than in Tokyo, the crossiants [sic]
> >flakier than in Paris....>

> Gee, thanks a lot for the New York ad. But who's going to take the
> word of a numbnuts who's stupid enough to go to Shoney's for a steak?

Simply because I had no choice! eh I wasn't about to drive 19 hrs
straight, so I chose two locations to stay overnight. Keep in mind,
both locations had to accept pets!! The first was in VA, the second
was in SC. Walterboro is a virtual ghost town! eh Since the motel was
right near Shoney's, why the hell not?! ehe This Boy from New York
City wanted to try something different!eh I didn't go there intending
to eat steak! Now I know why they overdid it with the mash & gravy!
LOL! Sidenote: on the wack back, I frequented Steak 'N' Shake out in
Georgia! ehe Leave it up to Southerners to market the mixing of meat &
milk! ehee Little tasteless green steak burgers and Mcdonald's sized
fries! Unfknblvbl! eheeeee

> Yes, NewYork has an incredible array of food offerings. Yes, it has
> H&H Bagels. But it also flies in a lot of things from overseas. Check
> where Artisanal gets many of its cheeses, for example.>
> And on the particular subject of croissants, baguettes and the like,
> fuggedaboutit indeed -- you can't touch Paris. Not only that, but many
> of us -- my wife and I included -- would take Paris over NYC every day
> of every year. And Bologna. And San Francisco

Bull dreck! eh Europeans can't even make a decent deli sandwich!eh NY
Kosher Deli
is stacked like a Cadillac!ehe You'd be hard pressed to find three
strips of
pastrami on their sandwiches. eh They're too busy eating porridge! eh
Why else
did we break free from British rule?eh We couldn't stand such bland
food!eh Sorry,
but I've Been All Around The World (I, I, I eh), and nothing shall
ever compare to the quality
and selection of food that NYC has to offer. It's also about 24/7
amenities. NYC is 25 hrs,
because in New York, 24 is never enough!eh I can live just as easily
at 3am as I can
at 3pm, with everything at my disposal. NYC truly IS The City That
Never Sleeps!

> And while we're at it, I love NY pizza -- but I like the pizza in
> Europe in general more. Their crust is a more significant -- and
> flavorful -- participant in the event.
> -- Larry (from Jersey, ex-NYC resident...)

Go ahead, convince yourself! LOL! Right back at ya (eh): Now why would
I take the word of a transplant who's now living in a subservient
appendage of the Greatest City in the World?eheh LOL! Larry, what
happened?eh You had to shlep out to Cop Land because you couldn't make
it here?eh Ol' Blue Eyes was right! eh -D, NYC "During the early
1900s, when hundreds of thousands of Eastern European Jews emigrated
to America and settled in New York City, they brought their family
recipes for knishes. Knishes were made at home until Yonah Schimmel, a
rabbi from Romania, began to sell them at Coney Island ("America's
First Amusement Park") and from a pushcart on the Lower East Side. In
1910, he opened a knish bakery on East Houston Street, where it still
remains today" - LITTLE BIG BOOK OF NEW YORK.."Chop Suey is based on a
Cantonese term for "odds and ends" or "mixed pieces" and a dish that
does not exist in China.
There are numerous theories regarding the origins of Chop Suey. The
most widely accepted is that the dish was created in New York City in
1896 when Chinese ambassador Li Hung Chang was sent by the Chinese
Emperor to meet with President Grover Cleveland to strengthen US/
China relations. When Chang threw a party, his personal cook prepared
a bland meal, reminiscent of a Chinese-style dish, to satisfy both
the American and Chinese palates" - IBID.."New York City is a
friendly old town, from Washington Heights to Harlem on down" - BOB
DYLAN (b. Zimmerman, sweet Jew, "Voice of a Generation," Top
100 selling artist of all-time).."Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's
got a winning team - BILLY JOEL (insert you know what here!eh)
"Between 1892 & 1924, 16 million immigrants entered America through
Ellis Island - 71 % of all immigrants in the United States - seeking
freedom
of speech, freedom of religion, and economic opportunities" - IBID
"Jews always know two things: suffering & where to find great Chinese
food!" eh - MY
FAVORITE YEAR (1982).."New York is where I'd rather stay. I get
allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view. Darling, I love you but give me Park
Avenue.
The chores! (The stores!), Fresh air! (Times Square!)" - GREEN ACRES
THEME
"The trouble with New York is it's so convenient to everything I can't
afford!" eh -
JACK BENNY (b. Kubelsky, sweet Jew).."I moved into my apartment
Sept. 10. In one day I saw the worst but also the best of New York.
Its
people are glorious, marvelous. The best. First-run movies? We got
it. Tops in theater? We got it. Ballet, opera, circus, concerts. More
culture here, more in the way of arts than anywhere in the world. New
York is the Athens of today" - MATT DAMON.."More history happened in
New York than in any other place in the nation" - KENNETH T. JACKSON,
Columbia University Professor, Encyclopedia of New York.."From New
York - the greatest city in the world" - LATE SHOW WITH DAVID
LETTERMAN (Ed Sullivan theatre - placed the Beatles on the musical
map).."The extraordinary European Jews who emigrated to New York
were enriching the city's intellectual life with an intensity that has
probably never been
equaled anywhere during a comparable period of time. I was raised
largely by these Jews...They were my teachers; they were my
employers;
they were my friends. They introduced me to a world of books and
ideas
that I didn't know existed" - MARLON BRANDO (excerpt from "Songs My
Mother Taught Me").."If I'd lived in Roman times, I'd have lived in
Rome. Where else?
Today America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself" - JOHN
LENNON
(one of NY's most famous adoptive sons, Strawberry Fields Memorial,
Central Park -
world's most famous recreational park).."My mom was Jewish, so some
would call me Jewish. My background is very much that style of
writing,
Neil Simon (sweet NYer) and Mel Brooks (sweet Nyer), and 'Your Show
of
Show' guys are what I grew up loving. So, I probably drew on my New
York background and my Jewish background for that, sure" - MATTHEW
BRODERICK (umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer).."New York is the only real
city-city" - TRUMAN CAPOTE.."You know, the more they knock New York,
the bigger it gets!" - WILL ROGERS.."From sea to shining sea..and
coast to coast..
somewhere in the middle..is the land I love the most..I ain't
California pretty..I can't
survive the Great White Way..I'm too dumb for New York City - and too
ugly or LA" - eh WAYLON JENNINGS.."Have you seen the well-to-do..up &
down Park Avenue..on that famous thoroughfare...with there noses in
the
air...puttin' on the ritz.." - IRVING BERLIN (sweet Jew, b. Israel
Isidor Baline, raise in NYC).."I laid a divorcee in New York City
- I had to put up some kind of fight" - ROLLING STONES..."Of all the
ambitions of the great unpublished, the one that is strongest, the
most
abiding, is the ambition to get to New York. For these, New York is
the
pointe de depart, the pedestal, the niche, the indispensible vantage
ground" - FRANK NORRIS.."New York is simply a distillation of the
United
States, the most of everything, the conclusive proof that there is an
American civilization. New York is casual, intellectual, subtle,
effective,
and devastatingly witty. But her sophisticated appearance is the
thinnest of veneers. Beneath it there is power, virility,
determination and
sense of destiny." - RAYMOND F. LOEWY.."New York City sits bold and
beautiful, brash and bounteous, a Big Apple, representing the best
the country and people have to offer. Never has there been a city
like
it, nor will there be again...It's a city of achievers, often beset
by
adversity, but never bested by circumstances" - JOHN CLEMENTIS, New
York Facts