Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Randall Nortman Randall Nortman is offline

Default Brewing beer (pseudo-lambic) with sourdough starter?

On 2007-08-09, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:11:52 -0000, Randall Nortman
> wrote:
>
>>I am well aware that the traditional lambic process is rather delicate
>>and takes years to complete,

> Howdy,
>
> What about the process takes years?

Traditional lambic is aged for 3 years or more. Traditional geuze is
a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old lambics. Younger lambics are
certainly out there, but I think the connoisseurs consider them to be
generally quite inferior. I have tried some of that traditional geuze
lambic myself, and while I happen to like it quite a bit, I can see
why it is not a market leader -- it is dry and very tart. Probably
tastes like vinegar to most folks.

> My understanding is that the sweet wort is simply poured
> into trays in which wild yeasts can come to rest, and then
> multiply.
>
> What am I missing?

A heck of a lot, if you're interested in doing it the traditional way.
For the gory details: http://hbd.org/brewery/library/LmbicJL0696.html

This is not to say that the traditional lambic process is the *only*
way to brew sour beer. I am personally looking for some shortcuts, as
around here, traditional geuze sells for about $8 per 16oz bottle.

--
Randall