Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Darrin Darrin is offline

Default Shoney's: Not exactly Manhattan cuisine!eheeee

On Aug 9, 7:34?am, Ward Abbott > wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 00:46:38 -0700, Darrin > wrote:

> >Note to self: the next time you shlep to FLA by car, skip Shoney's
> >in Walterboro, SC>

> If you are implying that all dining in NYC is Michelin Guide
> rated over seven...I got news for you!! You have some garbage
> holes that rats wouldn't be seen in. The only benefit...they are all
> crammed together on one island. Convenient for walking!!

A Walterboro resident I presume? LOL! While every major city has its
rat holes,
not every major city is The Cuisine Capital of the World. NYC IS!
Home to miles of food to explore from hundreds of nations. If you
can't
find it in NY, you won't find it anywhere! Home to 26,000+
restaurants,
The Food Network, Rachel Ray, Restaurant Week (aka Taste of The
Nation,
sponsored by American Express), Feast of San Gennaro in Little Italy,
The Art
Institute of NY, the finest chefs and celebrity-owned restaurants on
the planet,
highest concetration of food & media outlets, from cookbook and
magazine
publishers to television. The sushi's tastier here than in Tokyo, the
crossiants
flakier than in Paris, the duck more succulent than in Peking. And our
pizza?
Fugghedabboudit!ehe From Gabonese to Kosher Chinese, nothing compares
to NY, in the number of chances one has to discover something new and
delicious!
-D, NYC "New York City is the central home for this entire planet. The
Olympics
draws contestants from all countries. Wherever they come from we've
got a family
for them, a neighborhood for them, a group who speak their language,
cook their food,
support their religion, understand their needs. We have someone for
everyone" - JUDGE JUDY
(umpteenth sweet, Jewish NYer).."Bagels are doughnuts will a college
education -
and the college is probably Yeshiva!" ehe - LEO ROSTEN (sweet
humorist).."I think NY
restaurants sets a trend for the rest of the world. There's no other
place that has the
diversity and the experience of the chefs and restaurants that NYC
has" - STEPHEN P.
HANSON, P.R. Guest Restaurants.."I am constantly impressed by the
number of
restaurants that open in NY in a year..even a month's time. The
quality..the fact that
there's such a huge community that supports these new restaurants" -
BARBARA FAIRCHILD,
Bon Appetit.."NYC - 8 million or so people..5 boroughs..international
mix of people..it has been the hubbub of nightlife activity and
restaurants for 50-100 years" - JAMES OLIVER CURY,
Time Out Magazine.."Stay home. Marry the girl next door. Open a
restaurant there..New York
doesn't need any more restaurants. America does." - SHELLEY FIREMAN
(sweet),
NYC Restaurateur, owner of Cafe' Fiorello, Tratoria Dell'Arte,
Shelly's, Brooklyn Diner,
Redeye Grill, and Bond 45.."But it was a brief scene in "Klute," a
1971 thriller directed
by Alan J. Pakula (sweet NYer) and starring Jane Fonda as a high-
priced call girl and Donald Sutherland as a private detective, that
ignited Mr. McNally's (restaurateur) yearning to come to New York.
"It's the
middle of a hot Manhattan night, and Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland
are on some steamy downtown street corner buying groceries," Mr.
McNally recalled of the film. "The idea that in New York one could do
this at 2 in the morning, as opposed to what one presumed Fonda and
Sutherland had been doing until 2 in the morning, verged on the
exotic to me." It was one tiny element in the scene - "the brown
paper
bags that each of Fonda's groceries were packed into" - that most
caught
Mr. McNally's eye. "I've loved those brown paper bags ever since," he
said, "but separating the idea of them from sex with Jane Fonda has
been difficult. It's probably why I do so much shopping" - IN THE
DARK,
BIG CITY DREAMS By JAMES SANDERS.."In 1905, Gennaro Lombardi,
who moved from Naples to Little Italy in 1905, opened the nation's
first
licensed pizzeria, Lombardi's Coal Oven Pizzaria Napoletana, on Spring
Street,
using his grandfather's dough recipe. New York invented the pizza
parlor-style
pizza by serving slices instead of a whole pie, and allowing
customers
to watch bakers in the front of the store instead of hiding them in
the back. The art of making pizza dough is a New York City attraction
in itself. It wasn't until the 1960s that pizza bakers first began
twirling and tossing dough for an audience. New York City has more
pizzerias than any other American city" - LITTLE BIG BOOK OF NEW
YORK
"If you're eating a bagel that is perfectly round, with a symmetrical
hole smack dab in the center, then you are not eating an authentic
New York City bagel. Bagels are boiled and then baked to produce a
crispy
outer crust and a chewy inside, and never have a uniform shape. New
York City bagels are said to be different (and better!) than all
other bagels because the quality of New York City water creates a
specific
consistency unlike that produced in all other regions. The world
"bagel" is thought to derive from the Yiddish "beygel," and the
German "bugel," meaning a round loaf of bread. Whatever the history,
whatever the topping, a bagel is the ultimate New York City breakfast
food. -
IBID .."An Egg Cream is a New York specialty that has been around
since the
1930s. Contrary to what the name suggests, there is no egg in an egg
cream.
When made properly, it has a foamy froth on top that resembles beaten
egg
whites or the foam form a cappuccino" - IBID