Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Wine Cooler

On Aug 7, 8:00 pm, Lawrie > wrote:
> I want to get a cooler for around 60 bottles. Some people say not to
> buy an inexpensive one due to the vibration. A wine agent told me
> that it's really not an issue because the unit only goes on once in a
> while. Any opinions would be appreciated. BTW, I'm thinking about
> the Danby.

See www.wineenthusiast.com to get an idea of what is available. I
would suggest that you consider 2 silent thermoelectric wine coolers
designed for 20 - 30 bottles, although larger ones up to about 50
bottles capacity are available. You can set the 2 units at different
temperatures if desired. The total cost will be little more than that
of one of the larger thermoelectric units. The thermoelectric units
use not moving parts and thus are silent. The only problem I see with
most of the small coolers is that most of them do not control
humidity. However this is not likely to be a problem unless you live
in an extremely dry area or if you plan to age fine, expensive wines
for a very long time. If you decided to try to age something like
Romanee-Conti that now comes on the market at up to a few thousand US$
per bottle, then it would be foolish to try to save money on a wine
refrigerator. You likely would need two medium to large sized ones
that control both temperature and humidity very well and that allow
heating if you have them in a very cold area. An over and under
temperature alarm should be provided. You also should have a backup
generator in case of power failure. The reason for two units is to
have a backup if one fails.

I doubt if a conventional unit designed for wine with a mechanical
compressor would cause any problems other than a bit of noise if you
keep it near the bedroom and are a light sleeper. Most modern
refrigeration compressors are now of the rotary type that produce much
less noise and vibration than the older types that use a piston.