Posted to rec.food.equipment
Kent Kent is offline

Default pizza stone for outdoor grill??

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> Have you considered trying a layer of cheap quarry tile under the pizza
>>> stone?
>>>
>>> -- Larry
>>>

>> I suspect it would work better than a metal pan. The problem is that it
>> would take forever
>> to get both the quarry tile and the pizza stone to 700F.
>>
>> Kent

> How long does it take to get the pizza stone to 700?
> Dee Dee

The 3rd stone that cracked was onsale at Macy's for about $10. It was so
cheap I couldn't
turn it down. I knew I was performing a $10 experiment. It wasn't as thick
as you might want, though becasue of that it heated promptly. On our medium
run of the mill gas grill[Weber Silver B, but with cast iron grates], it
took about 15 minutes. I didn't think it would get that hot, because that
Weber, like all gas grills, aren't hot enough to sear a steak. The stone did
get to a temp. higher than I can get it to in our home oven, and it made a
great Pizza Margherita[fresh sliced deseeded tomatos, fresh basil, and fresh
mozzarella, and nothing else].
As you know, fresh mozzarella is quite moist, and I think the few drops that
hit the stone cracked it.

Kent