Posted to rec.food.equipment
Kent Kent is offline

Default pizza stone for outdoor grill??

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Aug 5, 1:14 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message\

> The problem I see with this is that the temp.
>> above the stone is much cooler than the temp. above
>> the stone in the home oven, particularly when the outside weather is cool
>> or
>> cold.

> I don't use a grill, but asking: is there a place for a second stone
> in your grill?
> The reason I ask is: I use two stones in my home oven. One to cook
> the pizza on; the second sits above it on another rack.
> (I heat both minimum 45 minutes prior to cooking.)
>
> No flaming me, please, for wasting energy; I use the heat for other
> things.
> Dee

Dee, I've never felt trying to bake a pizza on an outdoor grill makes any
sense.
Pizza Margherita, however, with its ultrathin crust and only three
ingredients[cheese, fresh tomato, basil] should have a stone temp. of 700F
so it can bake in two minutes.
The home oven can't do this unless you use the cleaning cycle, which most of
us are adverse to.
A gas grill, however, will heat a stone to 700F. You can make a Margherita
in 2-3 minutes.
My problem has been that I have cracked three pizza stones. I'm trying to
solve that and the best idea I've come up with so far is to shield the
bottom of the stone from the fire with a metal pan of some sort. I'm still
struggling, however.

Kent,

constantly struggling to live with his level of ignorance.