Posted to alt.food.wine
Joseph Coulter[_3_] Joseph Coulter[_3_] is offline

Default Hunter Valley

Matt S > wrote in
:

> I know it's close to Sydney, but I hope visitors do not leave assuming
> it is representative of all Oz wines...:>)

Rest assured Tourism Australia picked the Hunter for the conference not
I.

> Semillon is what the HV does best. Tyrells, Brokenwood, McWilliams
> (Lovedale), Tulloch, Chain of Ponds, and a host of small family owned
> wineries do this varietal so well, and are usually keen to show the
> traveller how well they age, so back vintages are normally on
> hand...:>)

This is what I will seek though I am sure that Shiraz will be provided!

> HV Shiraz is often derided, but through a host of roughish reds, rise
> some absolute rippers. Brokenwood have "The Graveyard" Shiraz which
> is an iconic drop, Tyrells have a range thast crosses all price
> points, and you may want to check out a rising star from HV in
> "Capercaille" in the Lower Hunter region. Rhone styles are NOT part
> of the HV make-up, moreso, big, in your face shiraz styles.

Never meant to imply that Rhone styles were all I drank, just my
preference just as I prefer white Burgundy to other styles of
Chardonnay, never the less, I have been known to drink an occassional
other style.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com