Posted to rec.food.preserving
[email protected] bethjarvi@gmail.com is offline

Default Leaky pie filling jars

Hi,

I have been canning apple pie filling for a few years w/good luck. I
can pints because I've only invested in pint and half pint jars. This
year, I noticed some liquid seepage when the apple filling cooled. I
left at least 1/2" head space--no fuller than to the bottom of the lid
collar.

I find this recipe gives me more juice/goo than I need for the
required amt. of apples. (I always wind up buying more apples and
canning more pints.) This year, I took half the juice/goo and set it
aside and used it to put up 7 pints of peaches. The peach pints
*really* oozed and the juice was fairly watery. Acknowledged: apples
have more pectin than peaches and peaches are wetter fruit than
peaches.

I'm going to try a canned peach filling recipe I found in a search of
this group. I have a 1 gal. Ziploc of prepped peaches in the fridge
and more in the fruit bowl.

A friend/fellow canner said she'd have left more head space in the
pints. Is there an ideal liquid to solids ratio???

Also, what storage recommendations should I pass on to family who will
get the apple and peach pie filling??

My apple pie filling recipe follows for reference.

Thanks!
Beth

Apple Pie Filling

(makes 6 or 7 quarts)
Ingredients

4 1/2 cups sugar
14 tablespoons Clear Jel
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
10 cups water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
8 to 9 pounds of tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (about 16 cups
of sliced apples)

In a large saucepan blend the first five dry ingredients. Stir in 10
cups water, cook on medium-high heat; stir until thickened and bubbly;
cook an additional 2 minutes.

Add lemon juice, and if desired, food coloring. Add the apples to the
sauce. Stir constantly and bring mixture up to a rolling boil; cook 1
minute.

Promptly ladle mixture into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headroom. Adjust
lids and boiling water bath for 25 minutes. 1 quart of pie filling
yields one 9 inch pie.