Posted to rec.food.equipment
Kent Kent is offline

Default pizza stone for outdoor grill??

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 15:55:56 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>>....The standard stones tend to crack because of the high grate heat
>>underneath, and the sudden change in temp. on the top
>>when you open the hood. At least I have wiped out two that way.

> Mine, often at 750 deg.F on my grill, is ten years old, and has no problem
> handling the heat, or the opened lid, or food being placed on it.
>
> An identical stone in my oven is ten years old, goes through all the
> self-cleaning cycles, and has had no problems when the door is opened at
> 550+,
> or food is placed on it at that temperature.
>
>>I've never felt you could do a decent pizza on the grill. At least mine
>>have
>>flopped.

> Our grilled pizzas are wonderful. Those at Al Forno in Providence are out
> of
> this world.
>
> Your problems seem to have only one element in common, from your posting:
> you.
> 8
>
> -- Larry

What kind of stone are you using? Do you place it directly on the grate, or
do you suspend it?
IF so , what kind of grates are you using. I haven't had a problem getting
the stone to a high temp. The problem I see with this is that the temp.
above the stone is much cooler than the temp. above
the stone in the home oven, particularly when the outside weather is cool or
cold.

Do you make sausage pizza outside? This is where the above would most
important. Do you do anything to precook the sausage?

TIA,

Kent