Posted to rec.food.equipment
bob prohaska's usenet account bob prohaska's usenet account is offline

Default pizza stone for outdoor grill??

Kent > wrote:
> Does anyone know where to buy a pizza stone specifically designed for a
> grill? The standard stones

This is a slightly oblique reply, but it might be of use.

Baking involves a certain amount of heat from above, whether
you're doing pizza or bread.

It's possible to do quite good bread on a cheap gas grill by lining
the grill with aluminium foil, placing a pan of water on the heat
radiators and putting the baking surface (a big cast iron skillet
in my case) on the grill. This would limit the thermal stress on
a baking stone, also.

The pan of water keeps direct heat off the baking surface and prevents
drying. The aluminum foil insulates the box and reflects radiant heat
around to the top of the baking surface.

One can adjust the ratio of top heat to bottom heat by varying the
size of the water pan, skipping the water or removing it completely.

I'm doing this with an old Sunbeam Grillmaster 540, the only oddity
is that the "lava rocks" have been replaced by pieces of angle iron.
[actually, it's pieces of a cut-up steel bedframe].

bob prohaska