Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Candy themometer for meat thermometer?

Marie Lauder wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 10:03:18 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Marie Lauder wrote:

>>> Because most dial-type meat thermometers only go up to 200F.
>>> Candy needs to go up to 350F.

>> Candy thermometers go up to 400F. That's the hard candy stage.
>> Obviously you've never made peanut brittle before. I'm also
>> guessing you've never made fudge or other soft-ball stage candies.

> You're just a wealth of misinformation, as is so often your usual
> style.
>
> http://whatscookingamerica.net/Candy/candytemp.htm
>
> As you can see, the Hard Crack stage (not "hard candy") is about
> 305F, not 400F.
>
> Now who's the one who's never made candy before?
>
>> And no, you can't use a candy thermometer for a meat thermometer.

> You're right, that's not what I said. I said you can use a meat
> thermometer (specifically, Polder or Taylor electronic probe
> thermometers) as a candy thermometer.
>
> Now run along and bake a three-tier white cake with pink frosting
> for us. And some Thai curry for lunch.
>
> -sw

You've never tasted my peanut brittle, which is buttery and brittle and
delicious. I dare you to email me your real address and let me make some
for you. Then you'll have to eat your words.

BTW. Christy's the one making the stupid three tier cake with pink
frosting.