Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken[_1_] Ken[_1_] is offline

Default Candy themometer for meat thermometer?

On Aug 3, 3:18 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Ken wrote:

Can a candy thermometer be used in a roast/
> > other meat cuts?

> > I'm guessing they work in the same way, so they should >>be interchangeable, but I don't know. It seems that if >>they can be interchanged, they would be sold that >>way. So does anybody out there
> > know instead of my guess?

> > TIA,

> > Ken

> I've never seen a candy thermometer that wasn't made of glass. Granted, it's been a long time since I made candy >but mine is a candy/deep fry thermometer; it certainly >wouldn't work for meat. Why not just run out and
> buy one of those metal skewer type meat thermometers; >even a drug store (like Walgreen's) has a small kitchen section? They only cost a couple of
> bucks.
>
> Jill- Hide quoted text -

Jill,

This thermometer looks just like a regular meat thermometer with a
pointed metal tube that goes into the pot. It has a sharp point like
it should be used to go into meat, but it's a candy thermometer.

You're right, a meat thermometer costs all of $4 or $5 American. This
is more a curiosity question.

Thanks,

Ken