Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Barry Harmon Barry Harmon is offline

Default whole wheat bread

Dick,

Carol Field has a recipe for Pane Toscano, Tuscan Saltless Bread, in her
book, "The Italian Baker." I've always had great success with her book
and her recipes work well for me.

Maybe he should try that recipe instead of tyring to modify an existing
recipe, at least for the first effort.

The recipe calls for 205 grams white flour, and 475 grams of whole
wheat, which I would view as whole wheat bread flour. (Whole Foods to
the rescue!) It uses a starter (poolish, 2/3 cup water to 175 grams
flour) and continues into the second day. First rise (fermentation) 1
hour, second rise 45 minutes to 75 minutes. AND, she posts it in
weights, too.

I'd be glad to post the recipe if it'll help. If you think it will be a
help, I'll make the bread and shoot some pictures.

As for the site, it had no place to go but up! <g> But thanks for the
compliment. You were a great help and inspiration, even if I did cuss
you under my breath while I was struggling with the first iteration of
CSS! <VBG>

I'm straightening out a lot of things, getting the blog going, and just
generally making things consistent among and between the sections. I've
got an 85% bread that I just posted, but I don't know how it will be
recieved. It's for a lot of dough. I had a lot of fun making it, and
plan to use it as an example of how to scale a recipe up and down, but I
don't know how many people will take one look at it and say "EEEEK!
It's alive! It's Attacking The Counter! Run Billy Bob!" I'm hoping The
King Of Glop will take a look at it and have a comment or two, both
because I value his knowledge and because his posts are good reading.

This is the first creative bread I've made in a while -- just too
difficult to be creative with bread in the summer. Pita's just about
enough.

Barry